The perfect winter lunch!
- 100g Stilton or other blue cheese
- 2 large head broccoli, main woody stalk discarded, small stalks thinly sliced, florets cut into quarters
- 200g spinach
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 1l chicken stock
- 50ml double cream
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 half teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- salt and pepper
- Fry the onions slowly and gently in butter, adding a drizzle of olive oil to prevent the butter burning.
- When onions are slightly coloured and softened add the chopped broccoli stalks and celery and fry gently for five minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a gentle boil.
- Simmer for five minutes to allow the stalks to cook through and then add the broccoli heads.
- Add the spinach and cover and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending. A hand held blender, straight into the pan is easier than pouring hot soup into a blender.
- Crumble the cheese into the soup and stir to melt.
- Stir in the cream, grate the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
Tips: Add a dollop of soured cream on top and a rasher of crispy bacon for an extra punch of fat.
Per serving this recipe contains 32.2g fat, 15g protein and 11.9g carbs.