A fantastically indulgent side dish for any winter warmer!
- 400g celeriac
- 200ml double cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 60g cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Butter an 18cm diameter ovenproof bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the celeriac.
- Put the slices of celeriac and garlic in a large saucepan and pour the double cream over. Grate in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat gently until it comes to a soft boil then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Layer half of the celeriac into the bowl followed by half of the cheese.
- Arrange the remaining slices of celeriac into the bowl, pour over all of the cream and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top is browned and a knife passes easily through the celeriac.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: This is even better eaten the following day. Keep in the fridge and eat hot or cold for lunch!