- 125g courgettes, grated
- 1 spring onion, halved length ways and thinly sliced
- small springs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar, grated
- 1/2 ground almonds
- 1 whole egg and 1 yolk, beaten
- 1/2 tsp maldon salt
- pinch chilli flakes
- black pepper
- Grate the courgettes and press them between the folds of a clean tea towel for half and hour to remove moisture.
- Beat the egg and the extra yolk together.
- Place the courgettes, spring onion, chopped parsley,cheddar and ground almonds in a bowl and combine well before adding the beaten eggs.
- Leave the batter to stand for 10 minutes, it makes the mixture hold together better in the pan.
- Melt some butter in a small frying pan and drizzle in some olive oil to prevent the butter from burning.
- Over a medium to low heat drop a heaped dessert spoon of batter into the pan and press it down into a patty of about half a cm thickness. Continue with the rest of the batter. Cook in two batches to leave space in the pan for turning. The batter should make 12 small fritters.
- Keep the heat no higher than medium and don’t move them for at least two minutes then watch them carefully and turn them when you think they will hold together.