Chicken and mushroom soup is an old favourite that usually relies on flour to thicken the creamy goodness. We turned to cauliflower (as we so often do – it really is a superfood at Simple As Fat!) for this low carb version.
- ½ head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 150g mushrooms of your choice, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 100ml cream
- 1 knob butter
- salt and pepper
- Gently brown the chopped onion and leek in a pan with the butter.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, cauliflower and stock cube and cover with boiling water.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked and soft, whizz everything together.
- Add the shredded chicken, cream and seasoning.
Tip: Keep aside some sliced leek and mushrooms should you want to add these at the end with the shredded chicken to give this low carb soup an extra dimension. Some crispy bacon would not go amiss on top either!