Fish pie can be the perfect low carb healthy fat dinner for all the family. By swapping out the potatoes for cauliflower, you can still indulge in the creamy sauce and crispy cheese crust of a fish pie. Buying frozen packs of cooked fish makes this meal cheap to make but also means you can add lots of different types of fish including haddock, salmon, prawns, mussels, squid.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 50g butter
- Handful of cheddar
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300ml dry wine white
- Zest of lemon
- 300ml double cream
- 350g bag of cooked frozen fish (make sure you defrost carefully before cooking)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Break the cauliflower into small florets and boil until soft.
- While the cauliflower is boiling, melt the butter in a large frying pan and gently fry the onions and garlic.
- Once the onions are soft pour in the white wine and simmer until it has reduced by half.
- Add the lemon zest, the juice of half the lemon and the cream. Stir and season with black pepper.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked through, drain and mash with a knob of butter.
- Add half of the cheddar, a splash of double cream and black pepper to the mash.
- Lay the seafood in the oven proof dish and pour over the creamy sauce.
- Carefully spoon the mash on top of the fish and sauce.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheddar on top.
- Put in the oven at 190 degrees for 20 minutes. You want the top of the pie to be golden and crispy.