This is an fantastic addition to your recipe library that will work with so many other dishes – fish, steak, or chicken. Learn how to do it and it will serve you well!
- 1 large, dark gilled mushroom, sliced
- large knob butter
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp double cream
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan.
- Drizzle in a little oil. This is to stop the butter from burning.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook slowly over a gentle heat.
- When they are beginning to colour add the garlic. Keep the heat low and don’t let the garlic colour. If you’d like a less intense garlic flavour leave the clove whole and remove it before serving.
- Once the mushrooms have a browned a little at the edges on both sides remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 2 or 3 minutes before adding the cream.
- Stir in the cream, add the lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper and serve over steak.
Tip: replace the thyme with fresh or dried tarragon for a delicious accompaniment for chicken.