Leading diabetes charity, Diabetes UK, has taken what Jon Gaunt described in the Sunday Times as “blood money” from soft drink maker Britvic. Jon was disgusted by this sponsorship deal as Britvic make sugary products like Pepsi, J20 and Mountain Dew.
As a result it seems exactly the right time to listen to Professor Robert Thomas who believes that the more fizzy and sugary drinks you consume the more chance you have of getting cancer especially stomach cancer.
In fact, he says, “Do not drink sugary fizzy drinks. They are very harmful and the more you drink the more likely you are of getting cancer”
and the professor continues…
“There is a clear correlation between the number of sugary fizzy drinks and cancer, particularly stomach cancer.”
Robert, who is a Cancer specialist, also states,“50 percent of cancers are caused by lifestyle and 40 percent of these cancers are connected to obesity.”
He explains that sugar is the core of the problem, along with starchy carbs. He goes on to say, “We do not need any processed sugar, you do not need any sugar as it has no nutritional value at all”
The Professor also states that the worst thing you can do is have cereals, fruit juice, toast and sugar in your tea on an empty stomach first thing in the morning
The main points he makes are:
- Fighting chronic diseases like cancer is about losing the weight and exercising. If you exercise you will build muscle so even if your weight is not dropping you are getting immediate benefit.
- We know that eating processed sugar is harmful.
- Sugar creates inflammation and changes your gut bacteria health.
- Sugar makes you store more fat.
- Fat is a nice slow energy resource
- Real, healthy, natural fatty foods are much better for you than sugary foods.
- Cut down or cut out completely starchy Carbs like bread, rice, pasta and potatoes.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements are not necessary if you are eating a healthy diet.
- The gut is at centre of most chronic illness and sugar can throw gut health out of sync.
- It is inflammation responses, not cholesterol that triggers many diseases like heart disease.
- It is never too late to eat your way back to good health and you can reverse type 2 diabetes by avoiding sugar and processed carbs and moving on to healthy fats.
The Professor concluded our interview by saying that he saw 4 patients with prostate cancer earlier in the day. They were all expecting to undergo chemo or surgery but instead he told them to change their lifestyle and their diet and come back in 6 months. He states that if they follow his plan they will be much less likely to need any surgical intervention, possibly avoiding surgery, chemo or radiotherapy.
In essence he states that you can improve your chances of living longer and avoiding these chronic diseases by eating well and losing weight.