Coq au vin is a great lchf supper which is easy and cheap to make. This winter warming stew makes the most out of a cheap cut of meat to create a rich and delicious dinner.
- 50g butter
- 6 rashers streaky bacon,
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml red wine
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 6 chicken thighs on the bone
- 100 ml double cream
- In a heavy casserole dish melt the butter and snip the streaky bacon into the pan. Fry until the bacon turns crispy and golden.
- Then add the onion and leeks and gently fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and pour in the wine and chicken stock.
- Peel the skin off the chicken thighs and submerge them in the red wine sauce.
- Simmer the coq au vin with the lid on for 1 hour. Remove the lid for the last 15 minutes of cooking so that the sauce reduces.
- Take off the heat and stir in the double cream.