This lasagne recipe is packed with vegetables and healthy fats. By using thinly sliced aubergine instead of pasta, you still get to enjoy the tasty layers of ragu and cheese sauce. This is a great meal to freeze a couple of portions to save for a busy week day.
- Olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 red peppers
- 100g mushrooms
- 600g beef mince
- 3 aubergines
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 6 sundried tomatoes, sliced
- handful of olives, sliced
- fresh basil, torn
- 300ml double cream
- 200g cheddar cheese
- 150g cream cheese
- ¼ nutmeg, grated
- ½ tsp English mustard
- Heat up the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onions, garlic, peppers and mushrooms.
- Once the vegetables have started to soften add the mince to the frying pan and cook until browned.
- Meanwhile slice the aubergines lengthwise into half cm wide slices.
- Place on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Cook in the oven at 190 for 15 minutes. You want the aubergine to be starting to soften but not mushy.
- Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, olives and basil to the frying pan and stir.
- Let the ragu sauce simmer while you make the cheese sauce. In a large saucepan add the double cream, 150g cheddar, cream cheese, nutmeg and mustard. With a whisk mix together and heat gently. The sauce will thicken slightly, be careful that the sauce does not boil or catch on the bottom.
- Now you are ready to assemble your lasagne, with a large oven proof dish lay half the ragu sauce on the bottom of the dish, lay the aubergine slices on top, pour half the cheese sauce on top. Repeat these layers with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle the last of the cheddar on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, you want the top to be golden