This sausage stew is not only delicious but super easy. We serve it with buttery greens but some roasted celeriac would great with it too. This dinner is such a treat after a long winter walk.
- 10 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 red onions, roughly quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 good quality sausages
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 50 g butter
- 160g cavolo nero, sliced
- Preheat the oven and roasting tin to 190 degrees.
- Snip the streaky bacon into the hot roasting tin and pop into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the onions into quarters and smash the cloves but leave the skins on (this will prevent the garlic from burning). Score a cross onto the top of the large tomatoes.
- Take the tin out of the oven, the bacon should be golden and going crispy. Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes and thyme to the tin. Nestle the sausages into the veg, drizzle with olive oil and put back in the oven.
- Cook for 40 minutes (or until the sausages are nicely browned and the tomatoes have broken down).
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in the tomato puree and balsamic vinegar.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the cavolo nero. Cook until softened.
- Serve the sausage stew on a bed of the cavolo nero.