Real feel good comfort food doesn’t get better than this Low Carb High Fat Ragu with an aniseed twist.
Makes 2 servings, freezes well without the cheese
- 500g mince pork
- small red onion, diced
- large fennel bulb, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- half teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- carton passata
- lemon zest
- 150ml veg stock
- small glass white wine, optional
- 2 balls mozzarella
- Fry the pork in olive oil until browned. Set aside for a minute.
- In a separate panfry the red onion, sliced fennel, garlic, chilli flakes and fennel seeds in olive oil.
- Add the stock, or a small glass of white wine if you have one open.
- Simmer for a moment and then add it all to the meat as well as the passata, lemon zest. Stir well.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover and cook for 30 minutes, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened
- When ready remove from the heat, place slices of mozzarella over the ragu, drizzle with oil and allow to melt slightly before serving over fresh baby spinach leaves.
Tip: Add a handful of spicy rocket leaves to your spinach to add more iron and pep!