This high fat low carb soup is super satisfying, perfect for tomato glut season and can be spiced up to the max and cooled down with silky mascarpone cheese to your own taste.
Makes 4 or 5 servings. Freezes well without the cheese.
- 900g ripe tomatoes, halved
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, in skins
- olive oil
- 500 ml veg stock
- half teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 100g mascarpone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200.
- Place vegetables on a roasting tray, douse with oil and toss with your hand to cover everything with oil.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes until the edges of the veg are browned but the rest still juicy.
- Pour into a saucepan, squeezing the garlic cloves into the pan (remembering to discard the skins.)
- Add the vegetable stock, or chicken stock and the dried chilli flakes, bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a big dollop of mascarpone cheese in the bowl, then you can enjoy both the intense, juicy red hot flavour of the soup and a milder creamer version in the same bowl.
Tip: If you are feeling adventurous you can use a couple of fresh chillis instead of the chilli flakes and roast them with the vegetables. Bury them under the red peppers – they will cook quicker, and you won’t burn. Deseed them for a cooler spice hit.