This high fat low carb soup is super satisfying, perfect for tomato glut season and can be spiced up to the max and cooled down with silky mascarpone cheese to your own taste.
Makes 4 or 5 servings. Freezes well without the cheese.
- 800g ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, in skins
- 1 half teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100g mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place tomatoes, red onions, red peppers and garlic cloves in a roasting tray, douse with oil and toss with your hand to cover everything with oil.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes until the edges of the veg are browned but the rest still juicy.
- Pour the veg into a saucepan, squeezing the garlic cloves into the pan (remembering to discard the skins.)
- Add the vegetable stock and the dried chilli flakes.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a big dollop of mascarpone cheese in the bowl.
Tip: If you are feeling adventurous you can use a couple of fresh chillis instead of the chilli flakes and roast them with the vegetables. Bury them under the red peppers so you do not burn them as they will cook quicker. Deseed them for a cooler spice hit.
Per serving this recipe contains 19.1g fat, 4.3g protein and 9.6g carbs.