It’s a good idea to eat the crackling of this fantastic low carb high fat Pork Belly Roast – in fact it’s essential if you are a high healthy fat diet.
The Crunchy crackling is most definitely the best bit and is going to keep you feeling full for ages.
- 2 tablespoons Chinese 5 Spice
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg piece of belly pork
- 2 lemons
+ Ingredients For the stir-fry
- Pak choi
- Mange tout
- Spring onions
- Soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Sprinkle the Chinese 5 spice and a generous pinch of salt all over the skin and the flesh of the meat, drizzle with olive oil and rub it in all over.
- Marinate for as long as you have, overnight if you can.
- Before cooking, rub in another good glug of oil and roast in a high sided tin, sitting on a trivet, for half an hour at 200 degrees C (or 180 in a fan oven)
- Then turn the oven down by 20 degrees, squeeze the juice of one and half lemons over the skin and roast for another 2 hours.
- Turn it back up to 200 C degrees and roast for another 30 minutes.
- You might want to drain off the fat sitting under the meat before increasing the heat as it will smoke in the very hot oven.
- When the crackling is hard and crispy remove the meat from the oven and prise the skin away from the meat. Cover loosely with foil and a clean tea towel and break or snip the crackling into a bowl to serve.
- Heat a wok and in quick succession add a glug of olive oil, diced chilli, ginger, garlic, chopped coriander stalks, spring onions, a splash of soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Swirl the pan to combine ingredients then add the pak choi and mange tout. Toss the greens in the spices and serve as soon as the pak choi leaves begin to wilt. Sprinkle with coriander leaves.