I know this sounds like we have forgotten the rest of the meal but if you do as Jon often does and have a quick salad as a starter, often as soon as he gets home from work, a steak served with some mushrooms and hot mustard makes a satisfying meal.
- 6 – 8oz steak, any cut you prefer
- 150g mushrooms
- 1 big knob butter for the steak
- 100g Spinach, washed
- 10g knob butter (just for the spinach)
- 1 heaped dessert spoon creme fraiche
- 1 heaped dessert spoon of grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Get the frying pan nice and hot, melt the butter and before it is all totally melted hold the steak fat end up in the pan to brown the edge and render some of the fat down to help flavour the steak.
- Once the fat has browned, or your thumb can’t take the heat any more, lay the steak down and cook to your liking.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry with the steak.
- For the creamed spinach… Melt butter in a small frying pan.
- Add spinach and toss in the 10g knob of butter.
- When the spinach is mostly wilted add in the creme fraiche and gently mix it through to melt.
- Grate over some Nutmeg and add the grated Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Tips: There are really only two important things to know: buy the best steak you can afford from a butcher you trust and cook it in butter!